What is Diatomaceous Earth?
Diatomaceous earth (DE), also called Kieselguhr is a light-colored, chalk-light sedimentary rock that is composed of the siliceous shells of diatoms, a type of hard-shelled algae. The diatoms have fossilized over millennia in old fresh water lake beds. One of its main components is silicon dioxide. When mined and ground into fine powder, the result is diatomaceous earth. (Source: Britannica)
It is commonly used as a natural insecticide, deodorizer, filter cleaner and health supplement. It’s even been named the Bug Killer You Can Eat!
Food Grade Vs. Non-Food Grade
Only use food grade quality DE around your house and as a health supplement!
Non-food grade DE is strictly for industrial purposes, such as industrial filtration systems; insulation for restaurant grade ovens, boilers and blast furnaces; hazardous chemical insecticides, herbicides and fungicides; and even dynamite. It can be extremely dangerous for you, your family, and pets because it is artificially treated.
Be sure to buy food grade quality DE. If you are unsure, ask the store manager or look elsewhere to a trusted online source, like DiatomaceousEarth.com. I recently purchased food grade DE (for cheap!) at my local health foods store. If you are an Amazon shopper, DiatomaceousEarth.com offers a 10lb bag for $19.92.
Why You Should Use It
- Deodorizer for garbage cans, cat litter boxes, cloth diaper pails, etc.
- Food storage – absorbs moisture so food (beans, rice, corn, etc.) stays fresh
- Grease and oil remover for cement and carpet
- Metal and brass polisher when mixed with water or lemon juice
- Pest control
Non-Toxic Pest Control
DE works as an organic pesticide, effectively ridding pests by attaching its absorbent particles to an insect’s exoskeleton and dehydrating it. It is a safe way to rid pest problems without fear of accidental poisoning in children and pets. Another important benefit is pests cannot develop immunity to DE like mainstream chemical pesticides because it is a mechanical reaction.
Here are some examples DE can help with:
Household & Garden Pests
- bed bugs
- cabbage root flies
- carrot root flies
- dust mites
- … and more!
Note: DE will not kill earthworms! Totally awesome for the avid gardener!
Pests around the Farm
DE provides numerous benefits around the farm!
- Add it to animal feed to prevent caking, internal parasites and worms, and bug invasions.
- Apply directly on animals (avoiding eyes, nose and mouth) to help keep bugs away.
- Sprinkle it throughout the barn or chicken coop to soak up moisture to discourage flies and mosquitoes from laying eggs.
Natural Flea & Tick Treatment for Household Pets
Since it works to kill fleas and ticks AND it’s non-toxic to animals, DE makes an excellent flea and tick treatment for cats and dogs! Try it next time instead of buying expensive veterinarian prescribed treatments.
Note: These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA and should only be used for reference purposes only. Always consult your primary physician before trying out new health claims.
Here is a list of possible health benefits from consuming diatomaceous earth according to DiatomaceousEarth.com.
- better digestive health
- more regular bowel movements
- healthier colon
- reduced cholesterol
- better food absorption
- better night’s sleep
- clearer skin
- stronger teeth and gums (Add to regular toothpaste.)
- healthier hair and nails
- less joint and ligament pain
- helps arthritis
- less sickness
- more energy
- soothes burns
- insect bites
- clears skin rashes
- less acne (Mix with regular facial cleanser or make paste with water and use 1-2 per month for natural exfoliation.)
- possible antiparasitic
- could lower Candida levels
Consumption recommendation: Mix 1/2 teaspoon in each 6-8oz water or juice. Do not consume more than 1 tbsp daily.
Amazon shoppers: DiatomaceousEarth.com sells a 1lb bag for $7.95 if you want to start with a smaller amount. Though, it is significantly cheaper to buy in bulk.