Flea infestations can be difficult to avoid. We all know what happens when we forget to reapply flea prevention medication… Our dogs (and cats) go outside, only to wander back inside loaded with pesky fleas! Mommy & Love has partnered with 1-800-PetMeds, our wonderful sponsor, to offer you a simpler, cost efficient way to keep the fleas away! I want to thank you in advance for reading and sharing this article.
The Importance of Flea Prevention
There are so many importance reasons to keep fleas outside of your home and off your pet! Once your pet get fleas, they mass produce in extreme numbers very quickly and can be difficult to rid. So, be sure you can afford proper flea prevention medication + other pet expenses before bringing your beloved new pet home.
Life Stages of a Flea + Reproduction Overview
- There are four stages in the life cycle of a flea: egg, larva, pupa, and adult.
- An adult female flea can lay up to 40 eggs each day, but only after a blood feast from your cat or dog.
- Each egg takes 2 days to 2 weeks to hatch.
- Eggs fall off your pet and are dispersed throughout the home.
- Fleas live several weeks to several months long.
- ADULT fleas account for less than 5% of the entire flea population in a home.
Read Understanding the Flea Life Cycle for more in-depth information on the life cycle of a flea.
Keep a Clean Home Environment for Family
Now that you know how large flea infestations can get, remember that humans are warm-blooded beings too, just like cats and dogs. That means fleas target humans for their blood feasts as well. It might be easier for fleas to stay attached to pets with their thick fur, but don’t be surprised if you find them in your children’s hair too! Gross.
Here are a few tips to keep fleas at a minimum.
- Clean and vacuum regularly.
- Always keep your pets on flea prevention medication.
- If you have a flea infestation, wash all clothing and bedding in hot water to kill fleas in all stages of life.
- If the infestation is bad, consider bug bombing your home to kill all eggs and larva that have been dispersed throughout your home. Consider chemical-free pest control as well.
Pet Flea Allergies
It is very common for pets to have flea allergies. Their symptoms go far above and beyond the normal itching response to a single flea bite. Both my dog, Tarot, and cat, Raja, will itch until their fur falls out and skin opens with just ONE single flea bite. We’ve been forced to take our pets to the vet for steroids to calm the itching while the flea prevention medication kicks in and kills the fleas again.
When your pets are miserable, I promise that you will be miserable too. No one can stand a dog itching next to you 24/7. Poor things.
Have you seen or heard the commercial for America’s Largest Pet Pharmacy? Quick watch this 30 second commercial. The cute pug alone is irresistible!
1-800-PetMeds is an online pet pharmacy where you can save a ton of money and get free home delivery. They offer discounted pet supplies and medication for all needs including categories for flea and tick, heartworm, food, medication, pain, joints, dental and more.
- Over 8 million satisfied customers have saved money with us!
- Licensed pharmacy like Walgreens and CVS.
- Awarded Vet-VIPPS accreditation by the National Association of Boards of Pharmacy®.
- A+ Accredited Member of the Better Business Bureau.
They have an excellent, 100% money back guarantee return policy. If you or your pet are unhappy with your purchase, or you simply changed your mind, you can return the product for a full refund, hassle-free.
They truly offer excellent customer service. When I reviewed their product, my package came with a cute dog stuffed toy + bone for my dog. He was very happy. Look how good of a dog he can be…
My dog Tarot was due for his monthly flea and tick prevention treatment. Since, we were out of what the vet prescribed, we were able to review the Flea5X Plus treatment. I can testify that it works to prevent fleas. He’s severely allergic to fleas and when he gets bit once, it takes a very long time to stop itching. We will most likely continue buying this brand because it is cheaper than the brand we use at the vet. Also, it’s easier to keep regularly giving him flea treatment because we can get it mailed to us. There’s no forgetting to run to the vet’s office or store to pick up another dose!
Benefits of Flea5X Plus
- Each application protects your pet from multiple pests for a full month
- Helps control sarcoptic mange infections in dogs
- Kills fleas that may cause skin allergies
- Waterproof formula won’t wash off during swimming or bathing
- Kills fleas, flea eggs, flea larvae, ticks (including those that may transmit Lyme disease and other tickborne diseases), and chewing lice
- Compare to Frontline Plus, containing the same active ingredients
- Prevents and controls infestations for 30 days
For more information or to start ordering supplies now, please visit 1-800-PetMeds.