Is milk of magnesia the solution to diaper rash?
Surely this is just an old wives tale?
I mean a laxative for rashes, are you kidding me?
Well, let’s dig deeper into this!
Affiliate Disclaimer: As an Affiliate, we earn from qualifying purchases.
What is Milk of Magnesia?
Milk of Magnesia is a magnesium hydroxide suspension that is used as an antacid and laxative.
It works by neutralizing stomach acids and drawing water into the intestine, which helps to soften stool. Milk of Magnesia is available over the counter and comes in both liquid and tablet form.
Liquid milk of magnesia is usually taken by mouth, while tablets are often used as a rectal suppository.
Milk of Magnesia is not recommended for long-term use, as it can cause magnesium toxicity.
Symptoms of magnesium toxicity include nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and weakness. Seek medical attention if you experience any of these symptoms.
Milk of magnesia is a magnesium hydroxide suspension which is used as an antacid and laxative.
It contains about 12% magnesium oxide and has a pH of around 11.
This high pH makes it effective in treating diaper rash by creating neutralising acid skin irritants.
Our favorite magnesia for babies:
- Phillips' Milk of Magnesia Wild Cherry Flavor liquid laxative works with the body's natural process to relieve occasional constipation and helps you get back to regular.
- Formulated with Magnesium Hydroxide, Phillips' Milk of Magnesia offers cramp-free, gentle relief of occasional constipation without the use of harsh stimulants. Gives you gentle, overnight relief.
- This classic, medicine-cabinet standard is available in three liquid flavors: Original, Wild Cherry, and Fresh Mint.
- Phillips' Milk of Magnesia Wild Cherry Flavor liquid laxative works with the body's natural process to relieve occasional constipation and helps you get back to regular
- Formulated with Magnesium Hydroxide, Phillips' Milk of Magnesia offers cramp-free, gentle relief of occasional constipation without the use of harsh stimulants. Gives you gentle, overnight relief
- This classic, medicine-cabinet standard is available in three liquid flavors: Original, Wild Cherry, and Fresh Mint
- Medical oil
- Flavors for medication
- Medical liquids
Is milk of magnesia good for diaper rash?
There is some evidence that milk of magnesia can help to treat diaper rash.
It is thought to work because it is an antacid and it neutralises the acid in urine which might be causing the rash.
Some people also find that it helps to soothe the skin.
However, there are also some potential drawbacks to using milk of magnesia for rash.
For one, it can be a little messy to use.
It also needs to be applied regularly in order to be effective, which can be a challenge if you are already dealing with a fussy baby.
Finally, milk of magnesia is not always readily available and may require a trip to the pharmacy.
Is magnesium good for diaper rash?
Yes, but it can be messy.
Mix these ingredients in a small container and have them ready to use when you change diapers.
First, clean the diaper area and apply milk of magnesia to the diaper rash.
After that, seal the diaper and wait five minutes.
After that, reopen the diaper and apply butt-paste. When applying the milk of magnesia, do not rinse or wash it away.
- Coconut Baby Oil for Hair and Skin - Made with Organic Cold Pressed Coconut Oil, Sunflower Oil, and Grape Seed Oil
- Baby Coconut Oil for Hair and Skin - everyday moisturizer for Babies and Adults. Helps protect skin naturally!
- Baby Coconut Oil for Skin and Hair to loosen build up and moisturize baby scalp
How do you use milk of magnesia for diaper rash?
When mixed with a barrier cream like zinc oxide, to form a butt paste for baby’s skin it can be a very effective cure for diaper rash.
If you want to use it on its own, pour the mixture into a spray bottle, with a very very fine nozzle, then spray onto the affected area at the next diaper change.
Anecdotal reports from mothers have told us this completely healed their baby’s bad diaper rash.
- Pure Original Ingredients Zinc Oxide is non-nano & uncoated
- Use topically for minor skin irritations
- Add to creams, lotions & ointments
Can Milk of Magnesia be Use with Cloth Diapers
Yes, it washes off very well if you use it either in spray form or in a paste form. You might want to use a paper liner to protect your cloth diapers from any staining.
Moms have told us how their poor baby have found relief from using a magnesia based butt paste.
If you are mixing the magnesia with zinc oxide, this can be used with cloth diapers as whilst it might stain the diapers it will not cause any repelling issues.
No matter what type of diaper you use, always ensure that you leave plenty of diaper-free time between changing and air dry your baby before putting a diaper back on.
You can then reduce pain and irritated skin for kids by using a natural ointment.
If your child has an adverse reaction always speak to your pediatrician.
- Made of a lightweight fabric that is soft and quick drying
- Mom can customize the fold when burping baby
- Size: 14" x 20"
- NO LEAKS - Mama Koala baby pocket cloth diaper comes with waterproof and breathable TPU outer, the super soft and stay dry suede cloth inner protects baby from moisture.
- GROWS WITH YOUR CHILD - One size cloth diapers (8-35lbs) with 3x3 rise snaps to customize for the perfect fit. If you are looking for a pocket diaper to fit large or chunky babies, try our 2.0 pocket diapers.
- ULTRA ABSORBENT - Including six adjustable 3-layer microfiber inserts. They are lightweight yet highly absorbent. The cloth diaper liners with snaps or folds are shipped randomly. Designation or exchange services are not available.
- FASION & STYLISH －Why not get these reusable, washable super-absorbent and comfortable cloth nappies / diapers, which are also called modern cloth nappies (MCNs) or pocket nappies. For your baby, for the cost of buying disposable nappies, these reusable nappies and inserts will last you for a much longer period of time.
- HIGH QUALITY, ADJUSTABLE, REUSABLE & WATERPROOF －Outer layer: polyester with waterproof and breathable TPU .It's convenient for mammy to carry baby while taking a walk or doing chores. Inner layer: suede cloth inside, it does not hold moisture itself ,the moisture get drawn away to the insert to keep your baby dry . Insert: each diaper would come with two 3-layer microfiber inserts. Insert dimension approx 13.7” x 5.5”
- SAVE MONEY & ECO-FRIENDLY－Our reusable cloth diapers are designed for families who require premium products. Suitable for babies and toddlers 3kg-15kg (6.6 – 33 pounds) (a rough guide for reference only) .Length of Diaper: 15” in length X 13” in width. One size fits all– you can adjust the diaper to your desired size (S,M or L) by snapping onto different rows of buttons on the nappy.
Will Milk of Magnesia Work on a Yeast Rash?
Yes, milk of magnesia can be used to treat a yeast rash, however it is better to use a cream specifically designed for yeast rashes.
It is important to make sure that you do not mix with cornstarch if you have a yeast rash.
Cornstarch is a common home remedy for diaper rash, but it can make a yeast rash worse. If you are not sure if you have a yeast rash, speak to your doctor.
The Bottom Line
So, is milk of magnesia a good solution for diaper rash?
It depends on your individual situation.
If you are comfortable with using it and have easy access to it, then it may be worth a try.
Otherwise, you may want to consider other options. It does neutralise acidic urine and poo and if you feel this is the cause of the diaper rash then it could be the best option for you.
Remember never to give milk of magnesium to a baby orally.