Rocking bassinets are popular with parents who want their babies to be soothed and comfortable as they fall asleep, without the need for direct parental intervention.
A rocking bassinet will rock your baby to sleep, so you don’t have to spend hours physically rocking your child before bedtime. Studies have shown that rocking bassinets can help babies to fall asleep faster, reduce crying, and ensure that your baby gets better sleep throughout the night.
However, some parents have voiced concerns about the safety and budget-friendliness of rocking bassinets. It’s true that some rocking bassinets have safety issues, while others are far outside the average household’s budget.
With that being said, though, there are plenty of affordable, safe rocking bassinets available on the market.
Read on to hear about the top 6 rocking bassinets on the market and learn how to choose the best one! We’ve also don’t a guide to babies sleeping in a vibrating bouncer.
The Top 6 Rocking Bassinets
If you’re looking for a safe rocking bassinet, you should check out the BabyBjorn Cradle before looking at any other products.
We love this rocking bassinet because of its minimalist design that easily fits into any home decor or aesthetic. This is a manual rocking bassinet, meaning that it needs to be pushed in order to maintain motion over a long period of time.
With that being said, it does a good job of keeping up the rocking motion, so you don’t have to move it constantly.
Plus, the premium-quality materials used in the construction of this bassinet are breathable, safe for your baby’s delicate skin and easy to wash in the washing machine.
At just 13 lbs, this bassinet is also easily portable.
- High-quality materials – Skin-safe and machine washable
- 13 lbs weight – Highly portable
- Classic design – Versatile
- Manual – No automatic motion
Also Available At:
- Lulls your baby to sleep with relaxing, gentle rocking movement
- JPMA Certified Product with low height and transparent mesh fabrics allowing for secure supervision of your baby
- Easy to move around the house so you can always have your child close to you day and night
Fisher-Price is one of the leading manufacturers when it comes to baby-related essentials, and this Soothing Motions rocking bassinets is definitely one of the best you can buy.
The thing that initially drew us towards this bassinet is the fact that it has advanced soothing features that you would usually only see on bassinets with much higher price points.
This bassinet produces a self-generated rocking motion, but unlike other similar rockers, the motion is actually smooth and soothing. However, it doesn’t lock, which some parents find stressful because it minimizes their control over the motion.
In addition to the overhead mobile, the Fisher-Price soothing motions bassinet will soothe your baby with music, vibrations, and two light modes (projections and night light).
- Self-generated rocking – Soothing and safe
- Soothing sounds and music – Calming
- Projection and night light modes – Versatile
- No lock function – Limited control over rocking
Also Available At:
- Calming sway motion generated by you or baby.
- Dual-mode lighting. Choose from soothing projection and night light (Light projection unit is removable & can be used as a tabletop soother.)
- Flat sleeping surface with deluxe overhead mobile
The SNOO Smart Sleeper Baby Bassinet is the most expensive bassinet on our list, but if you have the budget for a high-end rocking bassinet, it’s definitely one of the best choices.
Something that makes this bassinet stand out from the rest is the automatic rocking motion. The bassinet senses when your baby is fussing and automatically starts rocking at the appropriate intensity for immediate and effective soothing.
Many rocking bassinets have the potential to accidentally roll a baby onto its front while rocking, which can be dangerous. With the SNOO bassinet, though, you don’t have to worry about this because the built-in, patented swaddle holds the baby firmly on its back.
This bassinet also provides sleep reports so that you can monitor your baby’s sleep each night and make adjustments for improvement.
Unfortunately, the high price point means that this incredible rocking bassinet isn’t an option for every budget, but you can rent the snoo bassinet – read our review.
- Automatic rocking – Intuitive and responsive
- Built-in swaddle – Completely safe
- Provides sleep reports – Monitors sleeping patterns
- High price point – Not a budget bassinet
Also Available At:
- Added Sleep: SNOO Sleeper boosts sleep 1-2+ hours per night, so parents get more sleep than with other baby cribs or smart furniture. Our moving sleeper bassinet soothes babies with the constant rumbly sound and gentle rocking motion they loved in the womb.
- Automatically Responds To Cries: SNOO detects fussing and the self-rocking bassinet responds with gradually stronger white noise + motion to calm crying. Your own essential personal helper, 24/7!
- Prevents Risky Rolling: The only bassinet, sleeper, or bed that keeps your baby safely on the back, the #1 safe sleep guideline recommended by the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP). Comes with 3 hip-safe sleep sack swaddles.
The MiClassic 2-in-1 Stationary and Rock Bassinet is the best rocking bassinet on the market for parents who prioritize portability.
This rocking bassinet can also be locked in place for stationary use, so it’s versatile enough to cater to all your baby’s sleeping needs. It’s also very lightweight with a frame that folds in the middle to fit into small spaces.
Don’t worry, though – this bassinet is safety-certified so the light, foldable construction does not compromise safety.
A carry bag is also included with the bassinet, so you can take it with you everywhere you go. The only issue is the height of the bassinet, which is quite low to the ground and can present a problem for taller parents.
- Folding frame – Ideal for storage
- Rocking and stationary – Versatile
- Carry bag included – Easy to transport
- Low height – Can be uncomfortable for parents
Also Available At:
- MiClassic 2in1 bassinet is designed with quick folding system, which makes it is easy for storage.
- Surrounded by breathable mesh walls all around for maximum breathability and visibility.
- A lightweight construction makes the bassinet easy to move and it is convenient for travelling.
The Ingenuity Foldaway Rocking Wood Bassinet is a great space-saving bassinet for smaller homes.
Like the previous product on our list, this bassinet can be locked to stop the rocking motion, so you can let your baby sleep in whatever way feels most comfortable moment by moment.
Speaking of comfort, the cooling mesh material used in the construction of the bassinet promotes airflow and ensures breathable comfort throughout the night.
This is another folding bassinet, so you can fold it away for storage when it’s not in use or even pack it up in your car for travel despite the solid wooden frame.
However, we did notice a crease in the middle of the mattress where the bassinet folds, and some infants may find this uncomfortable when they’re trying to sleep.
- Lockable rocking mechanism – Versatility
- Cooling mesh material – Breathable and comfortable
- Folding design – Saves space
- Crease in the mattress – May impact restful sleep
Also Available At:
- Two modes: use rock mode to soothe baby or in stationary mode when asleep
- More airflow creates a cooler and comfortable space to rest
- Portable design folds for easy transport and storage
Safest 1st has manufactured a safe and portable rocking bassinet that we would recommend to anyone trying to help their baby sleep during travel or in a hot climate.
Thanks to the mesh construction of this rocking bassinet, your baby will enjoy a cool, breathable environment which makes falling asleep much easier. A unique feature included with this bassinet is a bug net, which is perfect if you live in or traveling to an area with lots of mosquitos.
Unfortunately, this bassinet does sit quite low to the ground, which means that you may need to bend down a lot when lifting your baby in and out of the bassinet.
- Mesh construction – Breathable
- Foldable – Practical and user-friendly
- Includes bug net – Protects baby
- Sits low to the ground – Some parents find it impractical
Also Available At:
- Safety 1st
- Designed for sleep and JPMA certified
- Perfect for day trips or weekend travels
- Lays flat and rocks side to side to gently lull baby to sleep
Choosing A Rocking Bassinet
Obviously, when choosing a rocking bassinet for your baby, you’ll want to pick the best one.
Identifying the best bassinet will depend not only on the safety of the bassinet and other features but also on the individual needs of yourself and your child.
Here are all the key features you will need to consider before buying a rocking bassinet for your baby!
Rocking bassinets are great, but if the rocking power is too intense or not significant enough, your baby won’t get a good night’s sleep at best and may get hurt at worst!
A gentle rocking motion is what you should look for in a rocking bassinet. It should always meet Federal Safety Guidelines. Otherwise, you run the risk of your baby sustaining Shaken Baby Syndrome, which is extremely dangerous.
It’s important to establish whether your new bassinet is automatic, self-rocking, or manual.
Manual rocking bassinets use your baby’s movements to kick-start the rocking motion, while self-rocking or automatic bassinets use sensors to tell when your baby is fussing and adjust the rocking motion accordingly.
Some automatic bassinets have multiple rocking modes that they can choose between automatically.
Always look for a safety certification when choosing a rocking bassinet for your baby. At the same time, look for features of the bassinet that indicate that it will be safe to use.
A rocking bassinet should have a sturdy frame, a flat sleeping surface, and breathable materials for air circulation. You should also check the weight and size limits listed in the product information and ensure that these are compatible with your baby.
If you’re worried about the bassinet causing your baby to turn over and possibly suffocate in the night, choose a model with a built-in swaddle that keeps your baby on its back throughout the night.
This is an excellent feature that provides a lot of peace of mind.
If you anticipate needing to take your bassinet with you when you travel, or even if you want to be able to put it in storage sometimes, you should also look for features that indicate portability.
A foldable frame, in this case, is a must, although you should also ensure that it’s sturdy. The same goes for prioritizing a lightweight frame.
Some rocking bassinets have additional features and functions that will help your baby fall asleep faster. These may include music or soothing noises, vibrations, or toys hanging over the bassinet.
If you do choose a bassinet with hanging toys, though, make sure that your baby will not be able to reach them since this could present a hazard.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are Rocking Bassinets Safe?
Rocking bassinets are safe as long as they are made by reputable manufacturers and have been put through the appropriate safety testing measures.
To ensure that a rocking bassinet is safe, you should prioritize models that are safety-certified with sturdy (ideally, lockable) frames and no small items (including toys) within the baby’s reach.
Do Rocking Bassinets Actually Work?
Yes, rocking bassinets made by reputable companies do work. Studies have actually demonstrated that a rocking bassinet can significantly improve the quality of your baby’s sleep as well as shorten the time it takes for the baby to fall asleep.
Do I Really Need A Rocking Bassinet?
If you find that your baby struggles to fall asleep for the night, a rocking bassinet can truly change your life.
Instead of spending hours rocking a fussing baby to sleep in your arms and getting sleep-deprived yourself, a rocking bassinet safely soothes your baby into a sleepy state through gentle rocking and other soothing features.
When Should I Stop Using A Rocking Bassinet?
There is no specific age where it is recommended to stop using a rocking bassinet, but if you feel that your baby is becoming dependent on the rocking motion in order to fall asleep, it’s a good idea to slowly wean them off the bassinet to prevent sleep issues in the future.
Of course, you should always check the weight and age limits of a rocking bassinet and stop using it when your baby reaches these limits. Using a rocking bassinet for a baby that is too heavy is extremely dangerous.
How Do I Stop Using A Rocking Bassinet?
Stop using a rocking bassinet gradually so that it isn’t a shock to your baby’s system. Night by night, simply decrease the amount of time you use the rocking motion. Eventually, you will get to the point where you can stop the rocking completely without too many problems.
A rocking bassinet is one of the best ways to soothe a fussy baby to sleep without exhausting yourself in the process. However, for your baby’s safety, you need to consider certain features carefully and look for certifications before you purchase a rocking bassinet.
When choosing a safe bassinet, you should prioritize breathable mesh, a gentle motion, a flat sleep surface, and a strong frame. You can also find rocking bassinets with extra soothing features like white noise, calming music, and nature sounds.
Remember, the priorities with rocking bassinets should be safe sleep and healthy sleep habits for both you and your baby.