Can you imagine having a baby without a bassinet? The thought alone makes us cringe. And now that you’re expecting, you want to get the best bassinet possible.
There are several types of bassinets out there, from simple ones that fold flat to more elaborate models that recline. You don’t have to spend a fortune to get a quality bassinet. In fact, some of them are surprisingly affordable.
Most people believe that when you have a baby, the life you enjoyed before stops. People who were out and about often before they had a baby are keen to continue on their adventures with their baby.
Though with all the equipment needed to take care of a baby, traveling often seems like too much trouble.
Don’t panic, there is a solution to this problem. Whilst some things may be hard to pack up and take with you, your baby’s bassinet does not have to be. Portable bassinets are becoming more and more popular.
They make traveling with your baby really easy and there are plenty of options to choose from.
We are aware that choosing the best bassinet for your baby can be quite overwhelming. So, we have decided to make the process easier for you. We’ve created a guide highlighting the best portable bassinets that are currently available.
We have even included a handy buyer’s guide so you have all the information you need to know before making a purchase.
Affiliate Disclaimer: As an Affiliate, we earn from qualifying purchases.
If you are looking for a great bassinet that you can use in the house as well as take with you wherever you need it, the Chicco LullaGo Nest portable bassinet has you covered.
The Chicco LullaGo Nest portable bassinet is one of the easiest portable bassinets to assemble and disassemble, currently on the market.
The Chicco LullaGo Nest portable bassinet was designed to be quick and easy to use. The frame of this portable bassinet is made with metal legs that snap into place. This means you can have this bassinet ready to use in seconds, making it a great bassinet to travel with.
Although, the bassinet can be a bit wobbly at times.
Not only is this bassinet good for taking with you wherever you go, but the bassinet is also a great one to use in the house as a bedside sleeper, making it versatile.
The sides of this bassinet are made from mesh, allowing your baby to have good airflow when in the bassinet. The bassinet is also easy to clean as it has a zip and wash pad.
The Chicco LullaGo Nest also has a canopy with toys to keep your baby entertained when in the bassinet. This creates a cozy environment for your baby. There is also a very useful pocket on the bassinet, where you can store things such as diapers.
This makes it very efficient when traveling. The bassinet also comes with a bag that you can carry it in.
The Chicco LullaGo Nest is a portable bassinet that is more on the expensive side.
- Easy To Use – This bassinet is incredibly easy to set up making it ideal for use when traveling.
- Versatile – The Chicco LullaGo Nest is a portable bassinet that could be used as a bedside sleeper since it is quite sturdy.
- Comfortable – The bassinet provides your baby with lots of comforts. It is soft and padded, which helps your baby feel safe and secure. It also has a canopy which makes it cozy for the baby to sleep in.
- Expensive – The price tag on this bassinet might be higher than families on a budget are willing to pay.
- Wobbles – The bassinet does wobble slightly, which some users might find annoying.
If you want a portable bassinet that you don’t have to take apart to use, the Ingenuity Foldaway Rocking bassinet is the one for you. This bassinet is very easy to transport as it is easy to store away.
The design of this bassinet means that you no longer have to worry about assembling the bassinet every time you would like to use it. This bassinet folds in one step. Instead of taking off any legs, the bassinet collapses.
To do this you pull the tab in the middle of the bassinet up, then the whole bassinet folds.
The Ingenuity Foldaway Rocking bassinet is also versatile as it can be used as a bedside sleeper. The bassinet has mesh sides at the head and feet area of the bassinet to allow air to flow through.
Not only do the mesh panels make it breathable, but they also act as windows so you can see your baby sleeping.
Unlike some portable bassinets, the Ingenuity Foldaway Rocking bassinet can also be a rocking bassinet as well as a stationary one. This is ideal for those who are planning on rocking their baby to sleep.
The only downside to this bassinet is that it can be rather large to carry around. Since this folding bassinet does not break down into smaller pieces, it might be slightly harder to travel with than others. However, it is a great bassinet for carrying from room to room.
- Foldable – This portable bassinet folds away in seconds making it really easy to move around, especially from room to room.
- Breathable – The bassinet has mesh inserts allowing for air to flow through. This provides extra comfort for the baby.
- Versatile – Not only can this bassinet be used when stationary, but you also have the option to make it rock. This is great for soothing your baby back to sleep.
- Larger Than Some Portable Bassinets – Although this bassinet is foldable, it is still larger than most portable bassinets. Since it does not break down, this bassinet might take up a lot of space when traveling.
If you want a portable bassinet that also looks and works as a bedside sleeper bassinet, then the Delta Children EZ Fold Ultra bassinet is the one for you. This bassinet is one that is made to be a piece of the regular furniture in your home with the ability to take it with you when you travel.
This is a bassinet that doesn’t reduce its size in order for it to be portable. Instead, this is a roomy bassinet that is very comfortable. The Delta Children EZ Ultra portable bassinet is marketed as a full-size bassinet that you can travel with.
This is especially great for those with larger babies and they will not outgrow it quickly, as they might with other portable bassinets.
The great thing about this bassinet is the complete canopy that covers the entire bassinet. This provides extra comfort for babies when they are sleeping. It also helps to protect the baby from pets, bugs, and anything that is trying to get in the bassinet.
In terms of how this bassinet becomes portable, the bassinet is one that collapses. All you have to do is fold the bassinet and it stays flat. This makes it easy to put in the travel bag so you can easily carry the bassinet around with you. To assemble the bassinet, you just have to unfold it.
The mattress pad that comes with this bassinet can be put in the washing machine. It is recommended that babies up to 5 months old use this bassinet. The maximum weight this bassinet can hold is 15 pounds.
This is on the lighter side of weights that bassinets can hold so some babies might not be able to use it for as long as others.
- Comfortable – This portable bassinet is extremely comfortable for both parents and babies. It is designed to provide all the comforts needed by the baby while sleeping. Especially, since it is a full-sized bassinet.
- Easy to Use – This bassinet is simple to set up and take apart. You don’t need any tools or assembly instructions to set it up. Simply unfold it and place the mattress inside. Then, you simply fold it over the mattress and close the sides.
- Easy to Transport – This portable bassinet can be folded into a small package. Therefore, it is easier to transport. When you are ready to go somewhere, you can simply pack it away.
- Lower Weight Limit – This bassinet has a lower weight limit compared to many other portable bassinets available. This means that larger babies might outgrow this bassinet quicker compared to other bassinets.
If you are interested in purchasing a portable bassinet that is used purely for taking with you on your journeys, the Munchkin Brica Fold N’ Go bassinet has you covered. This bassinet design is very unique as it doesn’t have legs like other bassinets do.
This is a portable bassinet that stays true to its name. Essentially, this bassinet is just the bed part that you can easily take with you on all of your adventures with your baby. This is a bassinet that you can take with you to the park or even to someone else’s house.
The main thing to keep in mind is that this bassinet should stay off of surfaces that are far away from the ground.
The bassinet has mesh panels on the side to allow for the bassinet to be breathable. The great thing about this portable bassinet is that it is sturdy. There isn’t any sagging underneath when the baby is in this bassinet.
There is also a metal frame that locks into place making this portable bassinet secure and sturdy.
The downside to this portable bassinet is that it will not fit a baby that is over 25 inches. This means that your baby is likely to outgrow this bassinet a lot quicker compared to other bassinets.
This is due to the fact that this bassinet does not have the support to keep a baby that is around four months old in place.
- Lightweight – This portable bassinet allows you to take it with you anywhere you want because it is lightweight. Whether you are going on an adventure or going to visit friends, this bassinet allows you to bring along your baby with you.
- Sturdy – This portable bassinet has a solid metal frame which makes it incredibly stable. Even though it is lightweight, there is no risk of your baby falling out of this bassinet.
- Easy to Set Up – Setting up this bassinet is easy peasy. All you need to do is unpack it and then lay the mattress down. Then, you simply lock the frame together.
- Doesn’t Support Older Babies – Since this bassinet doesn’t have any legs and will need to be placed on a flat surface, older babies with more movement will not be supported.
- Babies Might Outgrow It Fast – If you plan on using this bassinet solely for traveling purposes, you may find that your baby grows out of this bassinet faster than other bassinets. While this bassinet is designed to be lightweight, it still needs to be able to support a baby that weighs at least 20 pounds. It is also on the smaller side which is why babies might outgrow it quickly.
If you are looking for a simple but effective portable bassinet, then the Evenflo Loft portable bassinet has got you covered. The design of this bassinet is simple, but it has some extra features which make it unique.
This bassinet is incredibly easy to use. The bassinet folds away making it easy to carry and move around. However, it does not come with a carry bag.
In terms of the added features, this bassinet has Bluetooth speakers built-in so you can play music or soothing sounds to help your baby go to sleep.
This bassinet is made from high-quality materials, making it sturdy. This bassinet has a weight limit of 20 pounds.
- Foldable – This bassinet is extremely portable. You can easily fold it up and put it in your diaper bag or backpack. This means you do not waste time assembling it.
- Sound System – This bassinet comes with two speakers that let you listen to music while your baby sleeps.
- Weight Limit – This bassinet has a good maximum weight limit, so you should get a lot of use out of it.
- No Carry Bag – There is no carry bag included with this bassinet, which means it can be tricky to hold when on the move.
Portable Bassinet Buyer’s Guide
When choosing a portable bassinet, there are several things you should consider before purchasing one. Let us have an in-depth look at some of the things you should be aware of before buying a bassinet.
Ease Of Use
This is probably the first thing you will think about when looking at a portable bassinet. After all, if it is too hard or complicated to set up, you won’t be using it often enough to justify spending money on it.
The whole point of portable bassinets is that you can move them quickly without having to struggle with the bassinet. So when it comes to buying a portable bassinet you want to think about how it is set up and taken down.
If the setup of the bassinet has too many steps, this might be something that takes longer than necessary to set up.
Bassinets that fold are usually very to use and move around. This is because it does not involve dismantling the bassinet. However, bassinets where you remove the legs have their advantages as they take up less space when moving them around.
Whilst bassinets are typically only used for the first few months of your baby’s life, it is important that the one you get is durable.
It is especially important to get a quality bassinet that is durable when it comes to buying portable ones. This is because as you move it around, assemble and disassemble it there is more chance that it could become damaged.
Another thing to think about when looking at portable bassinets is how comfortable they will be for your baby. Most bassinets often come with their own mattresses. These should be soft and padded so your baby will get a good night’s sleep.
It is also worth thinking about whether the material of the bassinet is comfortable. There is a high chance that your baby will brush against this material often so it should be soft, to avoid causing irritation to the baby.
If you plan on taking your baby out and about a lot, then you need to think about what size bassinet you need. A small bassinet may not provide enough room for your baby to sit upright and play with toys. On the other hand, a large bassinet will take up a lot of room in your car.
You also need to think about whether you will be able to carry the bassinet easily. For example, some portable bassinets weigh quite a bit so carrying them around can be difficult.
Price is always something to consider when purchasing any object. Babies are often only able to use bassinets for the first few months of their lives as they outgrow them quite quickly.
So, it would be worth considering whether you feel it is necessary to spend more money on a bassinet.
There are many different designs of bassinets available. Some look like traditional bassinets whilst others look more like cribs. It is worth thinking about which design you prefer and why. You may find that a certain design looks better to you than another.
There are also extra design features that some bassinets have that others do not. For example, you may want to consider whether you want your bassinet to be versatile. This means it can be used as a stationary bassinet or a rocking one.
It is also a good idea to consider whether you want to buy a bassinet that will keep your baby entertained. Some bassinets come with a canopy and toys hanging from them. These can be great for putting your baby in the bassinet for a moment when you need to do a quick task.
Another design feature to consider is the bassinet having mesh inserts in it. Mesh inserts in the walls of the bassinets allow for babies to get a good amount of airflow in the bassinet. This makes them more comfortable when sleeping.
Mesh windows also allow you to see your baby in their bassinet.
Frequently Asked Questions
How Long Does A Baby Use A Bassinet For?
Babies tend to use bassinets until they are between the ages of four to six months. At this point, your baby should be outgrowing the bassinet.
However, there are exceptions to this rule. If your baby is over the weight limit of the bassinet, they may have to use it for less time than other babies.
There is also a rule about your baby’s mobility, that changes how long your baby uses a bassinet. If your baby is able to roll onto their stomach they should be moved out of the bassinet and into a crib.
What Is The Weight Limit For Portable Bassinets?
The weight limit for most bassinets is 30 pounds.
However, you should always check the manufacturer’s guide when looking at the weight limit for bassinets.
Some portable bassinets can only hold a maximum weight which is in the range of 15 pounds to 25 pounds. This is completely dependent on the design of the bassinet.
Are Bassinets Waterproof?
Most of the mattresses that come with bassinets are often waterproof.
This is not always the case so this might be something that you should consider when looking for a portable bassinet.
The great thing about waterproof mattresses is they should only need to be wiped clean. However, to ensure that you are cleaning the bassinet mattress properly, check the manufacturer’s guide to see if it is waterproof.
Is A Rocking Bassinet Stable And Safe?
Rocking bassinets can be quite controversial when it comes to assessing whether they are sturdy and safe. On the whole, the safest and sturdiest rocking bassinets are the ones that can also be used as stationary bassinets.
This means that these bassinets have a lock on them to stop them from moving around.
Many people argue that rocking bassinets that do not lock have a risk of moving the baby to one side of the bassinet as the bassinet moves. However, most rocking bassinets are safe but if you do not want to risk anything then buying one with a lock is the best choice.
Can My Baby Travel In A Bassinet?
This is completely dependent on what type of traveling you are doing. If you are planning on moving the bassinet from one room to another then as long as your bassinet removes from its legs and has handles, this should be safe to travel with your baby in it.
However, if you are considering keeping your baby in the bassinet during a car journey this would not be safe. It is important that your baby is strapped and secured in a car seat.
When we talk about travel bassinets, it often means bassinets you can take with you on your journey. It doesn’t mean something you can keep your baby in as you travel with them.
Portable bassinets are very useful and versatile pieces of equipment. They are also perfect for traveling or going away as they don’t require much space. You can easily carry them wherever you go and use them whenever you feel like it.
It is important to make sure that you choose a good quality bassinet that will last you for the time you plan on using it.
There are so many different types of portable bassinets available on the market, all with their different strengths and unique features. The list above you is just a handful of the amazing portable bassinets available. Hopefully, you were able to find a portable bassinet from the list above.
Regardless, we hope we have provided you with all the information you need to know, to make an informed decision on which portable bassinet is best for you. Please share this guide with others who may also need help choosing a portable bassinet. Thank you for reading!