Everyone talks about having a diaper bag, but do you actually need one or will any bag you have do? We dive deep and weigh up everything!
For parents on the go, a diaper bag is a must-have. This bag can store everything you need for your baby while you’re out and about. Even if you’re the most minimalist of parents, it’s a good idea to have a diaper bag packed with diapers and wipes, baby clothes, extra pacifiers, bottles, and a small toy to distract your baby with during diaper changes.
Affiliate Disclaimer: As an Affiliate, we earn from qualifying purchases.
Are Diaper Bags Really Necessary?
Nowadays, diaper bags are a necessary item for every parent. They come in handy for carrying all of your baby’s supplies, from diapers and wipes to snacks and toys.
Diaper bags help keep you organized and prepared for anything while out and about with your little one. They have a lot of different pockets and compartments, so you can easily fit everything in. Plus, they’re stylish and can be used long after your child is out of diapers.
Of course, you always have an option to skip owning a diaper bag and just use a regular bag. However, your baby’s life and yours would be much easier if you own one since they are designed specifically to make parenting easy and fun.
From the layers and layer of pockets (yes you WILL NEED all those pockets), to the insulated pockets, changing mats and other very specific baby items they do come in very very handy!
What Are the Different Styles of Diaper Bags?
Diaper bags come in different styles. Here are some of them:
Smaller diaper bags are also available. They’re smaller than an actual diaper bag so don’t expect them to hold all of your baby essentials. Good examples of these cute bags are diaper clutch bags, purse, and waist bags.
Messenger bags are a great option if you need to carry your baby supplies for an extended period of time. They can be carried with the strap across your body or over your shoulder, which makes them more comfortable than carrying them in a tote diaper bag.
A backpack-style diaper bag is a convenient hands-free option that can also be worn on your back while you’re wearing your baby in a carrier upfront.
Tote diaper bags are a great choice for busy parents with babies who need a bag that can hold everything they need for a day out or a weekend away. They can be carried over the shoulder. Look for one that is spacious with sections and pockets to help you stay organized with your baby and toddler stuff. This style is particularly popular among many women.
What Diaper Bag Features to Consider?
Finding the perfect diaper bag can be a daunting task for a mom or dad. With so many different features and designs to choose from, it can be hard to know which one is right for you.
Here are a few factors and features to look for and consider when buying a diaper bag.
You will need a diaper bag that has plenty of space to store all of your baby’s supplies. This includes diapers, wipes, clothes, and other items that you may need while out and about with your kids.
A large bag with multiple compartments can help you stay organized and is worth the investment especially if you’re having twins.
Comfortable to Carry
A diaper bag should be comfortable to carry, even when it is full. Look for a bag with padded straps and a sturdy, ergonomic design. You have to carry soooooo much when you are looking after a baby and these things can get damn heavy fast!
A bag that can be worn as a backpack maybe your best option, as it will evenly distribute the weight and leave your hands free, especially if you like walking for going out for days.
Easy to Clean
Most diaper bags can get dirty quickly, so it is important to choose one that is easy to clean. A bag made from durable fabric that can be wiped down or thrown in the washing machine is ideal.
Avoid bags with intricate designs or materials that are difficult to clean. Trust us, things will spill, babies will vomit, everything and its dog will get thrown at this bag!
A versatile diaper bag can be used long after your kids have outgrown diapers. Choose a bag that can be worn as a backpack or shoulder bag, and look for one with a neutral design.
A black, grey or brown bag will go with any outfit and can be used for years to come. And who knows you might need it for your second baby!
If you have one that screams ‘baby’ it might become very dated, very quickly, so look for one that you would be happy to carry around, even without a baby in! I used my last one to carry my laptop in for work, along with all my breastfeeding pumps etc, so I got great value out of it.
A functional diaper bag will make your life as a parent easier. Look for a bag with plenty of compartments and pockets. A functional bag should include:
- A changing pad
- Insulated pockets
- Bottle pockets for your feeding bottles
- Stroller clips that allow you to attach your diaper bag to your baby’s stroller
- Extra pockets for your purse, keys, wallet, and other stuff
How to Use Your Diaper Bag
As a parent, you know that having a diaper bag is essential. It’s your go-to for everything related to your baby while you’re on the go. But, what do you actually need to put in your diaper bag? And how do you use it most effectively?
Here’s a guide on how to use your diaper bag:
- Regardless of your baby’s age, you’ll need to pack diapers. How many will depend on how long you’ll be away from home, but it’s always better to err on the side of caution. You may also want to pack an extra outfit for your baby in case of an accident.
- Wipes and small wipe dispensers are other essentials. They’ll come in handy for diaper changes, but also for cleaning up messes of your babies.
- Bringing along burp rags is always a good idea. You never know when your baby is going to need one.
- Bring a blanket with you as well. A blanket can keep your baby swaddled and protected against the cold.
- You’ll also want to pack some snacks and drinks for yourself and your partner, as well as some toys and books to keep your baby entertained.
- Don’t forget to pack your own essentials, like your bottle of hand sanitizer, nipple cream, wallet or purse, keys, and phone.
- Other baby items to place inside your diaper bag include a portable changing pad, diaper cream, pacifiers, a small bottle of formula or pumped breast milk, bottles for bottle feeding, plastic bags for dirty diapers, extra clothes, a baby blanket, and other baby stuff.
By following these tips, you’ll be sure to make the most of your diaper bag and be prepared for anything while you’re out and about with your baby.
How to Organize Diaper Bag
As a parent, you know that having a well-organized diaper bag can make your life a lot easier.
Here are some tips on how to organize your regular diaper bag so that you can be prepared for anything:
- Put everything in one place. Having everything in one place will help you grab things quickly and easily. For instance, if you are bringing a change of clothes, put them in one place so that if you need to change your baby’s clothes you can grab them right away.
- Use small bags or containers. This will help you keep track of everything and prevent items such as baby clothes from getting lost in the bottom of the baby bag.
- Label everything. Labeling each item will help you remember what it is and where it goes.
- Keep a list of what you need to pack for your babies. This will help you make sure that you don’t forget anything.
- If you’ll be out for a long time, make sure to pack enough food.
- If you’re taking breast milk with you, put it inside your baby diaper bag before you head out the door not hours before.
- Pack extra of everything. You never know when your babies will need an extra diaper or wipes, so it’s always better to be prepared.
Can I Use a Regular Bag as a Diaper Bag?
Yes. If you want to skip the diaper bag, a regular backpack can be used to bring whatever your baby needs. The noticeable difference between the two is the bag design and organization inside.
Regular backpacks have roomy compartments and multiple pockets which make them viable options as substitutes for diaper bags. They are comfortable and leave your hands free at all times while you carry your baby stuff such as changing pads, diapers, and wipes.
Should I Buy a Traditional Diaper Bag or a Backpack-Style Diaper Bag?
Both diaper bags are good options for new parents. But the backpack diaper bag is more popular because it’s considered the most convenient to use. However, it’s really up to your preferences and tastes.
When deciding which proper diaper bag to choose, make sure you go for the diaper bag that offers plenty of space, has more pockets, features an ergonomic design, is easy to clean and of course, is available at a reasonable price.
You can include your preferred diaper bag in your baby shower invitation as well.
A popular diaper bag brand is Skip Hop. They offer a wide range of styles and cute designs so there are a lot of options for parents to choose from.
Take Away on Whether You Need An Actual Diaper Bag
Diaper bags have become a necessary item for new moms and dads. They provide you with the space and organization you need to bring everything your baby needs while on the go. There are many different types of diaper bags available, so it’s important to find one that fits your needs and preferences.
But if you want to skip a diaper bag, you can also use a regular backpack provided that it has plenty of space and pockets for all your baby essentials.
This article was written by: Gian MIller – Full-Time Writer, Baby Whisperer & Dad of 3.
Gian spends a lot of his time writing. A self-proclaimed baby whisperer, Gian has been through it all with his own children and is passionate about sharing his hard-won wisdom with other parents. When he’s not writing or changing diapers, you can find him playing the guitar or watching baseball (or preferably both at the same time).